Friday 7 June 2013

234SPORTS: FASTEST MAN ALIVE USAIN BOLT LOSSES 100M RACE TO JUSTIN GATLIN

 Usain Bolt, on the right, suffered his first 100m defeat in three year last night at the hands of Justin Gatlin, left, in Rome

The Olympic champion sprinter Usain Bolt- dubbed the fast man on the planet - shocked his fans by losing a race yesterday.
The 26-year-old Jamaican, who holds the world 100m record and six-time Olympic champion, came second in a 100m sprint in Rome to 31-year-old American sprinter, Justin Gatlin.
Bolt, who finished in 9.95 seconds compared to Gatlin's 9.94, has not lost a 100m race since 2010, when he was suffering from a back injury.

Justin Gatlin promised Usain Bolt “a dog fight” this summer only to be dismissed by the triple Olympic champion as someone who talks a bit too much. Now he had better start listening.

The shock defeat occurred last night at the Rome Golden Gala Diamond League meeting in front of thousands of spectators.
Bolt, who holds the current world record after running the 100m in 9.58 seconds in 2009, started the race well, but then stumbled and could not regain his lead on Gatlin.

Afterwards Bolt, who refers to himself as 'a legend', tried to shrug off his performance. 
Bolt told reporters: 'The one-offs are never for me. It’s all about the World Championships. I’ve got two months to get it right.
‘You learn more from losing. You can’t win every race in your career, I’ve learnt that.
‘For me Rio will be biggest Games of my life. That’s where I’m going to make history if possible (by becoming) the three times Olympic (100m and 200m) champion, which has never been done. I want to go out there for my legend status.
‘For me, it’s just going through the season and putting things together for the World Championships. The season is still very early. I am not surprised. I have time – I’m not worried.'

"During the race I didn't feel it all," he said. "Afterwards it was sore but that's expected. But during the race it was fine."
Bolt briefly covered his face with his hands after the race, and then saluted the crowd. After things settled down, Bolt went over and shook Gatlin's hand and congratulated him.
"I came into this race trying to figure out where I was," Bolt added. "Now I just need to go back and watch the tape and see what went wrong and what I need to work on and compete better next time. ... The fact that I lost this race is a good thing."
Bolt struggled in the first 50 meters despite his strong start. He started to gain ground on Gatlin near the finish but would have needed a bit more track to overtake him.
"That was ridiculous — a perfect start and then I just cropped off," Bolt said. "I think it was this perfect start that threw my game off. I have to do more strength work, I guess. I think it needs just some time to get it all back together. At the end it was just not me."
"At least I got under 10 seconds," Bolt said. "My legs did not feel the energy. At 50 meters I had some problems, but the rest of the race was not bad.
"My fifth step I kind of stumbled a bit. The last 50 where I thought I would be much better I wasn't there, so I guess I just need to go home and figure out what I need to do and get it right, because normally my last 50 of the race is my best part. I need to put it together. I have enough time. I'm not worried."

Gatlin, who has twice tested positive for drugs and served a four-year ban, had warned Bolt and his Jamaican team-mate Yohan Blake before the race to 'expect a dogfight'.
Afterwards he said: '‘It felt good. It’s an honour to be able to race against him and compete against him. He’s an inspiration for the sport. He’s inspired me to be a better runner and a better entertainer for the fans.
‘I just want to be able to give him some competition when he’s at top form. He’s a legend and I want to go out and just fight for the end. Much respect.’
"I don't keep count of how many people have beaten Bolt. But I can say it's an honor to be able to race against him," Gatlin said. "He's been an inspiration for the sport. He's brought so much to the sport that it has never had before, so he's inspired me to be a better runner and a better entertainer for the fans."
This was Gatlin's third Diamond League win in the 100 this year. He ran 9.97 seconds in Doha, Qatar, and a wind-aided 9.88 in Eugene, Oregon, last weekend. The wind this time was well within the limit.
Gatlin took bronze at last year's London Olympics to cap his comeback from a four-year doping ban, having won the 100 at the 2004 Athens Games.
"Last year I was a really great starter," Gatlin said. "This year I've been working on my conditioning, trying to get my start back and make sure the middle of my race is stronger. Each race is important."

 Bolt will next run the 200 at the next Diamond League meet in Oslo, Norway, next week before he returns home for the Jamaican championships. Gatlin has the U.S. trials this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment