Tuesday 8 January 2013

MESSI BECOMES WORLD'S BEST PLAYER FOR THE FOURTH TIME


Barcelona forward Lionel Messi


Messi, 25, hit 91 goals during 2012 and beat club team-mate Andres Iniesta and Real Madrid's Ronaldo to the trophy. Messi was announced as the winner of the Ballon d'Or, the award given to the world's best player, during a ceremony held in Zurich on Monday.

He was part of a three-man shortlist for the prize, which is voted for by journalists, and national coaches and captains, alongside midfielder Iniesta and forward Ronaldo.
He becomes the first player to win four consecutive Ballons d'Or, breaking the record he jointly held with former France international, and current Uefa president, Michel Platini.

"To tell you the truth this is really quite unbelievable," said the Argentine. "The fourth award that I have had is just too great for words.
"I would like to recognise my other colleagues from Barcelona. Andres, it has been great to train and play alongside you.
"I would also like to recognise all of my friends in the Argentina national team, everyone that has worked with me, coaches and staff and my family and my friends. Also my wife and my son. Thank you." 

Messi - who polled 41.6% of the votes, with Ronaldo taking 23.68% and Iniesta 10.91% - was favourite to win after surpassing Germany striker Gerd Mueller's record of 85 goals in a calendar year from 1972.

No comments:

Post a Comment