Monday 21 May 2012

JACKIE CHAN RETIRES FROM ACTION FILMS

'Very tired': Actor Jackie Chan announced his retirement today as an action star at the Cannes Film Festival
 
Hong Kong superstar Jackie Chan revealed during a press conference at the Cannes Film Festival on Friday that his upcoming film "Chinese Zodiac" will be his last major action film, reported Chinese media
Shot in eight countries with a budget of 300 million yuan (S$60.3 million), "Chinese Zodiac", which is scheduled for a December release, sees Chan play a treasure hunter who travels the globe in order to recover stolen national treasures.

"I wanted to prove that I am not just an action star, but also a good actor, so these few years I appeared in films like 'Little Big Soldier' and '1911' but a lot of people still want to see me show off my punches and kicks.

"So I agreed to shoot one more action film. I still can fight but this ("Chinese Zodiac) will be my last action film," said Chan, who got his big break in the 1978 martial arts classic "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow".

"I'm already 58, how much longer can I keep fighting?"


Chan also mentioned how the current levels of violence in movies just aren't his thing. "The world is too violent right now. It's a dilemma--I love fighting. I love action, but I don't like violence.

Chan says he spent seven years working on the movie - writing, producing, directing and coordinating fight scenes.
"For the last ten years I've been choosing the director to direct me. This one I direct myself.'' he said. "I hope this movie, 20 years later, people still remember it. For me, for the audience, for my future, for my history - it's very important.''
Chan says Chinese Zodiac, and the many films before it, have taken their toll on his body.
"It hurts, it really hurts,'' he says, flinching. "The shoulder, the ankle, it really hurts. You don't know because I still look healthy.''

"I have not retired!"

However, Chan, who said he wants to be "Asia's Robert De Niro", stressed that this doesn't mean he will stop making films with action elements in them – or retire, as some media reports have claimed.

It just meant that he will no longer be shooting films where the focus is purely on the action.

"I have not retired! This is my last major action film but I will still be working on films.

"I hope more directors would approach me for musical films. I am quite a good singer," quipped Chan, during an interview with Chinese media.

"I can also do some sci-fi action ... or romance films."

No comments:

Post a Comment